By / OVM TEAM
The Pros and Cons of Seasonal Moves
Seasonal moves have their advantages and disadvantages, but if you have a choice in the matter, what would be your favorite time of the year to pack up all your belongings and start fresh someplace else?
We’re an Ottawa-based moving company, and over the years of being in business, we can contest that the National Capital is a fairly transient region with a lot of movement. This is in part because one of the economic engines of the city, the largest employer, is the Federal Government. We’re also the close to the centre of the country and geographically close to some of the country’s largest cities (Montreal and Toronto). For many different reasons, we see many people – young families, students, professionals on special assignments, ambassadors, and the like, moving into, around and out of the city.
This means that we provide moving service throughout the year, and we keep providing residential and commercial moving services even in the coldest, blusteriest winter days, and during the hottest, mugginess dog-days of summer. Seasonal moves depend on your availability and your lifestyle.
Having conversed with many people over the years, we’ve collected a lot of information related to seasonal moves. In order to determine what time of the year is best for your next move, we’re outlining some of the pros and cons of each period:
Pros of a Summer Move
– For most people summer is a slower time at work, people are on holidays. There’s usually more time to prepare and get organized for a move.
– Kids are out of school, no need to worry about missing classes, changing schools.
– The weather is generally very agreeable. There’ll be no need to worry about bad driving conditions.
Cons of a Summer Move
– It’s one of the busiest times to move, with more people moving in summer than any other time of the year.
– Demand for moving companies is high, prices could be higher.
– There’s a real possibility of having your summer move during an Ottawa heat wave.
Pros of a Fall Move
– The weather is cooler.
– There’ll be fewer people moving this time of the year – students and families with school-aged children don’t generally move during this period.
– Moving quotes and costs are generally a little lower than in peak periods, like the summer months.
Cons of a Fall Move
– If you have kids, it can be a difficult and stressful time, as they’ll likely miss out on some school.
Pros of a Winter Move
– It’s one of the slowest times of the year to move, therefore prices are generally best.
– More availability for moving companies to choose from.
– Lower demand in the real estate market means that it’s often a buyer’s market – great if you’re a renter looking to relocate and buy a new home.
Cons of a Winter Move
– Ottawa is notorious for its harsh winters – storms and extreme cold can make driving conditions terrible, and dealing with -40 Celsius temperatures can test anyone’s patience.
– Some moving companies are on a reduced schedule or break during the winter season, which makes it more challenging to find a great mover. (Again, luckily for you, we operate year-round!)
Pros of a Spring Move
– Depending on the year, and Mother Nature, the weather could be agreeable. There’s generally less need to worry about bad driving conditions.
– It’s great if you can get settled into your new home and environment before the summer starts.
Cons of a Spring Move
– Kids are at the end of their school year and it’s one of the worst times in terms of stress and disruption, to relocate them.
– It can be a difficult time weather-wise with lots of rain, flooding, end of season snow storms, etc. You may need to pack an extra box of patience if you plan for an early spring move.
Whichever season you discover you have to move, you can rest assured that we’ll make it as stress-free and easy as we possibly can. We have plenty of experience with seasonal moves. For all your residential and commercial moving needs in the National Capital, you can count on us. Contact us today to get a quote!